On Thursday I pulled the Bus into the backyard and popped the driver’s side valve cover off. There was oil all over that fancy, expensive silicone gasket! Well, I can’t keep going through a quart of oil every 100 miles, so I had to try something!
I grabbed one of my new, old fashioned, cork gaskets, went to El Zone Del Auto, and got a tube of Permatex. So I layered Valve Cover – Permatex – Gasket – Permatex – Head. I put it back together and have given it about 96 hours to get to know itself (the tube of Permatex says 12 hours, but I figured more might be better) before I fire it up to test it out. I’m about to go do that now; more news later.